MDS and My story


5 years ago, if you asked me to run 10km, I would tell you that you're crazy. I could barely hold my breathe for 5km. I had clinical depression from 2013-2015 and I was also a heavy smoker. The only form of exercise that I get was moving out from my room to the toilet. One day on June 2013, a friend suggested that I should take part in the Standard Chartered Marathon instead of slouching and wasting away my life. At that point of my life, I felt I was truly rock bottom, and no suggestions seems crazy to me at all. In fact if anyone asked me if I wanted to bungee jump or skydive, I would have probably said yes too. So I signed up for the SCMS2013.

Even though I was a depresssed no good piece of shit then, I did put some serious training into it. I guess that was one of my redeeming quality. I put in my best for things I have chosen to do. I was only 6months away from the marathon and I have never run a race in my life. I didn't wanted to disappoint my friend too.

I got myself a pair of shoes. I wasn't even sure if they were running shoes. It had a Nike logo and it said "for Men". That was good enough for me. I start to build up my weekly mileage. From 10km to 20km to eventually 30km. One thing I did not expect was that after every running session, I felt good. I felt refresh. I don't feel as depressed. Running open up a whole new perspective. I knew I wasn't a good runner but I felt it's something that I could enjoy and do well if I put my time to it.

I kicked off my smoking, cold turkey style, as I felt it was counter productive towards my training. Before the faithful marathon, the furthest I ran during my training was 18km. I have no experience on pacing and proper hydration and whats not.

On the day itself, I couldn't sleep as I was very excited. This was my personal Everest. Beginning of the year, I would have never imagine I could do this, yet here I was.

I managed to finish the run at 7hr35min.



I never felt so much pain and joy at the same time. There is no greater joy then conquering your own limits. It was during this moment, I knew it in my heart, this is my passion and I will be doing this again, only better.

I am taking part in the MDS because running is my passion. It had liberated me from a terrible phase of my life. And it was also because I wanted to see how far I can go. This is my #breaking2. In fact, I have set my eyes on MDS since 2015. I spent a year to research as much as I could from previous competitors, blogs, etc. I registered in 2016 and finally got the spot for 2018.

I can guarantee, 2017 will be one hell of a training year!


Training Plan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Training plan

What is the Marathon Des Sables?